Symbolic Fonts - Only Giving blocks/rectangles on output

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
wortell

Symbolic Fonts - Only Giving blocks/rectangles on output

Post by wortell »

I followed all the 'threads' in this forum on fonts, using -encode delegates, etc... and I must admit, that I might be missing something greatly, so please take is easy on me...

fonts that are ** TTF ** aren't all treated equal it seems... i'm wanting to use a "symbolic" font... in particular it's WP_IconicSymbolsA.ttf. If you use it in WORD, or in any Font Viewer, it looks perfect, but whenever it's input into a label, annotate, draw options on any image, it ALWAYS comes up with the dang tall rectangle for each letter used...

Code: Select all

echo -n 'abcdefg' | convert -font WP_IconicSymbolsA.ttf -pointsize 36 label:@-  label_stdin_2.gif
this is what I've been trying to do... somethign simple (as from your "Anthony" line in 'labels' usage tutorials on the imagemagick.org/usage site... but to no avail can I get this to work...

I'm not looking to display it to a screen, as much as I want to put the sybmols (in image form) in an image file...

GULP! I'm afraid I'll get a "can't do that" answer. Thanks.
anthony
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Symbolic Fonts - Only Giving blocks/rectangles on output

Post by anthony »

Often symbol fonts for word processors, don't define any normal letters at all, or just a placeholder like a box. The symbols defined are often at higher UTF character encodings.

I suggest you grab the "graphics_utf" shell script form the IM Examples scripts area and use it to explore other areas to find the symbols.

For example..

graphics_utf -n ascii+meta |  \
      convert -font WP_IconicSymbolsA.ttf -pointsize 36 label:@- win:
The "win:" displays on screen.

the "text2img_fixed" script may also prove useful...

graphics_utf -n | text2img_fixed -font Dingbats -line 16 x:
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
magick
Site Admin

Re: Symbolic Fonts - Only Giving blocks/rectangles on output

Post by magick »

We tried Apple's font view under Mac OS X and it would not display any characters in the font file.