Can't get the linux "portable" download to work

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
doncaruana
Authentication code: 1152

Can't get the linux "portable" download to work

Post by doncaruana »

I tried the portable version from the download page where it says "Complete portable application on Linux, no installation required. Just download and run."

I tried it on Oracle Linux 7 (which is basically rebranded Redhat) and got this:
dlopen(): error loading libfuse.so.2

AppImages require FUSE to run.
You might still be able to extract the contents of this AppImage
if you run it with the --appimage-extract option.

I tried it on Ubuntu 16 and got this:
error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So...is this an experimental thing? Or am I missing something? Was kinda hoping it would work since all the repository versions are old and I really don't have the appetite for building it from source.

ferdnyc
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Can't get the linux "portable" download to work

Post by ferdnyc »

See the answer from probonopd (one of the developers of the AppImage format and tools) on this ImageMagick GitHub issue, regarding library dependencies in AppImages. In particular, as he says:
We generally recommend not to privately bundle libraries which can be assumed to be part of every desktop distribution, because this might be perceived "bloated". As a result, most AppImages do not bundle everything but only everything that cannot reasonably be expected to be in the default desktop installation of every targeted distribution.

You can see the list of libraries recommended not to bundle (because we assume that every desktop distribution has them) here:
https://github.com/AppImage/pkg2appimag ... xcludelist

So it's a feature, not a bug.
Keep in mind that AppImage is meant for desktop applications first and foremost. It is not meant to be a Docker/container replacement for servers.
Both libfuse.so.2 and libfontconfig.so.1 are VERY standard libraries that are typically installed by default in any distribution build, except perhaps a slim container image -- which isn't the use case for AppImages. It's actually kind of impressive that you managed to find two distribution installs that were each lacking one of the essential libraries.

Nevertheless, the missing libraries should be easily installable from distribution packages:
  • libfuse.so.2 on RedHat-like distros: "sudo yum install fuse-libs" or "sudo dnf install fuse-libs"
    libfontconfig.so.1 on any Ubuntu: "sudo apt install libfontconfig1".

doncaruana
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Can't get the linux "portable" download to work

Post by doncaruana »

I apologize for not replying back, but thank you - those were the trick.