Issue with opening resolution changed TIFF file in Photoshop

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
Carter J
Authentication code: 6789

Issue with opening resolution changed TIFF file in Photoshop

Post by Carter J »

Hi,

When we are trying to open a resolution changed TIF file in Photoshop, we are experiencing below error:

Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop

Command Used:
convert -alpha off -units pixelsperinch -resample 150 inputImage.tif[0] -profile sRGB Color Space Profile.icm -profile sRGB Color Space Profile.icm outputImage.tiff
(or)
convert -units pixelsperinch -resample 150 inputImage.tif[0] outputImage.tiff

Below are the links for Both input and output file:

Input File:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sc75hu69n7fso ... e.tif?dl=0

Output File:
https://www.dropbox.com/l/IDZfh8TSHAWgS8mP0oWeFn

Any insight?

Version: ImageMagick 6.8.8-9 Q16 x64 2014-03-16 http://www.imagemagick.org[/code]
Last edited by Carter J on 2015-01-09T06:24:01-07:00, edited 2 times in total.
dlemstra

Re: Issue with opening resolution changed TIFF file in Photoshop

Post by dlemstra »

Does it also happen when you put the commands in the correct order:

Code: Select all

// not:
// but:
convert inputImage.tif[0] -units pixelsperinch -resample 150 outputImage.tiff
And can you reproduce the issue with the latest version of ImageMagick?
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
Carter J

Post by Carter J »

dlemstra wrote:Does it also happen when you put the commands in the correct order:

// not:
// but:
convert inputImage.tif[0] -units pixelsperinch -resample 150 outputImage.tiff
And can you reproduce the issue with the latest version of ImageMagick?
Hi,

We have tried with latest version of IM and also changed order of commands as you suggested.

Still the issue persists. Do we have any other alternatives?
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Post by fmw42 »

What happens if you use -resize ... -density 150 for the equivalent result to -resample? Does that work? You will have to check the output for the correct size from our -resample to get the WxH for -resize or figure it out from the input density and the desired output density of 150. I suggest this only as a test. If this fails, then there may be an IM bug.

You also do not say what platform you are using? The reason I ask is that you have not quoted your profiles, which have spaces in the names.

-profile sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
rather than

-profile "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm"
so I assume you may be on Windows?

Typically, a profile would be named simply sRGB.icc or sRGB.icm. So I am wondering why the "Color Space Profile" is in your profile name?
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

I took a 512x512 version of the Lena.bmp image and opened it in Photoshop CS (very old). Then I changed the dpi to 480 and saved as tif. Then I used

convert lena.tif -units pixelsperinch -resample 150 lena2.tif
I then opened it just fine in Photoshop CS. So at least with my old version of PS, the command works fine.

Perhaps you might provide you input image by uploading to dropbox.com and putting the URL here. I can then repeat this test with your image.

I am using IM 6.9.0.3 Q16 Mac OSX Snow Leopard.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

What happens with the command if you put the -resample after reading the input and also add -strip between them to remove the meta data? Does it work then? Just a test to see if the meta data is being corrupted or modified incorrectly.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

For your input image 3608x5412 at 480 dpi, "-resample 150" should be equivalent to two separate operations "-resize 1128x1691 -density 150". What happens when you resize and density? What happens with just resize, or with just density?
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Carter J

Post by Carter J »

fmw42 wrote:What happens with the command if you put the -resample after reading the input and also add -strip between them to remove the meta data? Does it work then? Just a test to see if the meta data is being corrupted or modified incorrectly.

Hi,

We tried -strip and now file opens in Photoshop without any issue. But, we didn't want to lose any metadata .

"-strip" removes all image metadata including profiles, exif, svg,...

Do we have any other alternatives?

Same commands was working properly with other images, we are facing this issue only for few TIFF files.

Command used:

convert inputImage.tif[0] -strip -units pixelsperinch -resample 150 outputImage.tiff
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

I think you will need to provide one of the problematic files so the developers can see what is going on. You can upload to dropbox.com and put the URL here or if the file is private, you can send directly to one of the developers. If you need the latter, respond so and one of them will give you their direct email address, probably dlemstra.
Carter J

Post by Carter J »

fmw42 wrote:I think you will need to provide one of the problematic files so the developers can see what is going on. You can upload to dropbox.com and put the URL here or if the file is private, you can send directly to one of the developers. If you need the latter, respond so and one of them will give you their direct email address, probably dlemstra.
Hi,

I have updated the question with both input and output files.
dlemstra

Post by dlemstra »

Thanks for providing us with the files. There must be something wrong in the metadata since -strip works. Can you open the image when you use -resize instead of -resample? If that does work can you strip only the 8bim, icc or xmp profile to detect which profile is causing this problem. We are modifying the density in the 8bim profile, it is possible that we also need to change another value in the profile besides the resolution.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

see +profile at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comma ... hp#profile to remove specific profile meta data

or

see -define profile:skip at http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comma ... php#define
Carter J

Post by Carter J »

dlemstra wrote:Thanks for providing us with the files. There must be something wrong in the metadata since -strip works. Can you open the image when you use -resize instead of -resample? If that does work can you strip only the 8bim, icc or xmp profile to detect which profile is causing this problem. We are modifying the density in the 8bim profile, it is possible that we also need to change another value in the profile besides the resolution.
Hi,

Can you open the image when you use -resize instead of -resample?

We are not able to open image in PS even with -resize

If that does work can you strip only the 8bim, icc or xmp profile to detect which profile is causing this problem.

Input Image have below profiles:
Profile-8bim: 6246 bytes
Profile-icc: 3144 bytes
Profile-tiff:37724: 57876388 bytes
Profile-xmp: 22432 bytes

We are able to strip all profiles except "Profile-tiff", using +profile <profilename> and found none of the them causing issue.

Any suggestions what could be Profile-tiff and how to extract or strip only this profile??
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

As best as I can tell, IM knows nothing about layered tiff files and sees only one layer or perhaps the flattened layer. I opened your file in my old PS (CS) and it had warnings about unable to read vector smart objects (probably new features in more current versions of PS). However, it open and looked fine and showed multiple layers. But, when I do identify Input_file.tif, it only reports one layer. I also just did convert Input_file.tif Input_file2.tif and opened the result in PS (CS) and there was only one layer and it had lost its transparency. I cannot say how much of this is due to my old PS (CS).

But it looks to me like the current IM cannot handle multi-layer TIFF files. This is something that the IM developers would have to consider implementing.

Perhaps one of the IM developers can comment about the feasibility and time availability.
dlemstra

Post by dlemstra »

The name for Profile-tiff:37724: 57876388 bytes is tiff:37724. You should be able to remove it with +profile tiff:37724.

IM knows nothing about layered tiffs. There has been a topic about that earlier: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26785. I still haven't found the time to research the content of the tiff:37724 profile. I will post a message in the other topic when I have more information.