[SOLVED]-commands that do not work for me

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
bwana
Authentication code: 6789

[SOLVED]-commands that do not work for me

Post by bwana »

using the 64 bit version of IM with the dll.
Here are some commands I tried and the errors I got

>display rose:

display.exe: delegate library support not built-in `' (X11) @ error/display.c/DisplayImageCommand/1899.

>xdpyinfo | grep dimensions:

'xdpyinfo' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

>convert a.png b.png -scale 400% miff:- | animate -delay 50 -loop 0 -

animate.exe: delegate library support not built-in `' (X11) @ error/animate.c/AnimateImageCommand/1460.
convert.exe: unable to write blob `-': Invalid argument @ error/blob.c/ImageToFile/1701.

Did I forget to install something? animate.exe and display.exe are there in the IM directory along with convert (which works fine)
xdpyinfo is not there-maybe that's a linux built in tho.
Last edited by bwana on 2013-05-05T17:52:23-07:00, edited 1 time in total.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: commands that do not work for me

Post by fmw42 »

Display is only for unix versions of IM and for Windows. There is some other utility, I believe, that does display in Windows, possibly IM_display or something like that. One of the Windows users would need to tell you more. Perhaps it says more here http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/windows/

If you are on Linux/Mac, you need to install the X11 delegate library to support display, x:, show: etc.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

Yes, the Windows version is "imdisplay.exe". It works for me, though I rarely use it.

animate.exe needs X11, which Windows doesn't have.

I don't know what xdpyinfo is. Not part of ImageMagick, I think.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
pipe

Post by pipe »

xdpyinfo - display information utility for X
It's part of X11/X.Org. Has nothing to do with Windows or ImageMagick. May work in OSX.
bwana

Re: [SOLVED]-commands that do not work for me

Post by bwana »

tnx. i knew it probably wasnt an imagemagick command but want sure.
bri_dan322

Post by bri_dan322 »

Hi, I am having the same problem but on a Mac! I am new to unix and can't trace how I could make the same fix on my station

I already had X11 downloaded when ImageMagick was installed, but I must have made a mistake during the install steps, because I am receiving this error and cannot use display. When I run the test steps
$ convert logo: logo.gif
$ display logo.gif

I get a long text of features and image settings ending in:
display: delegate library support not built-in `' (X11) @ error/display.c/DisplayImageCommand/1899.

Following the install instructions I tried
$ export DISPLAY=:0
but when I run $ display logo.gif again I get the same message ^^^^

When i try $ convert -list configure I get
Path: [built-in]

Name Value
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEATURES OpenMP
NAME ImageMagick
QuantumDepth 16
convert: unable to access configure file `configure.xml' @ warning/configure.c/GetConfigureOptions/616.

I tried to verify the result of each of the install steps and see where I went wrong and found that
Imac:Applications Danica $ export PATH=$MAGICK_HOME/bin:$PATH
Imac:Applications Danica $ $PATH
-bash: /Applications/ImageMagick-6.8.6/bin:/Applications/ImageMagick-6.8.6/bin:/Applications/ImageMagick-6.8.6/bin:/Applications/freesurfer/bin:/Applications/freesurfer/fsfast/bin:/Applications/freesurfer/tktools:/usr/local/fsl/bin:/Applications/freesurfer/mni/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/fsl/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin: No such file or directory

freesurfer is a program I am using with ImageMagick but I'm not sure how this step would bring them together, since it was just a test of the install?
Can anyone help me get ImageMagick and X11 to work together?
Thank you so much :D
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

be sure you have x11 installed and IM can see it

convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.6-5 2013-07-15 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2013 ImageMagick Studio LLC
Features: DPC Modules
Delegates: bzlib mpeg fftw fontconfig freetype gslib jbig jng jp2 jpeg lcms lqr lzma openexr png ps tiff x xml zlib

If it is there, then edit your .profile file in your home directory (it is a hidden file) and add to it

export DISPLAY=:0

then save the file. I use BBEdit to do that, but you can use any text editor that can view hidden files.

You can look to see what is in your .profile file using cat

cd $HOME
cat .profile

For example here is what I have

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2011-11-30_at_14:35:14: adding an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

export PATH="${PATH}:/Users/fred/Applications/ImageMagick-Scripts/bin"
export DISPLAY=:0
export GDFONTPATH=/Library/fonts/
export TMPDIR=/tmp
bri_dan322

Post by bri_dan322 »

Wow thanks for the quick response:

Based on your advice, I can tell that IM cannot see X11
$convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.6-3 2013-06-25 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Features: DPC OpenMP
Delegates: bzlib jng jpeg lcms png tiff xml zlib

I am not sure how fix it from here though :( - I checked my bash_profile and added export DISPLAY=:0
I also created the .profile file since it didn't seem to exist before? using touch ~/.profile ; open ~/.profile
added the two lines appropriate to IM (PATH and DISPLAY) but no dice, Im still getting the same error on display : display: delegate library support not built-in `' (X11) @ error/display.c/DisplayImageCommand/1899.
Any ideas?
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

bri_dan322 wrote:Wow thanks for the quick response:

Based on your advice, I can tell that IM cannot see X11
$convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.6-3 2013-06-25 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Features: DPC OpenMP
Delegates: bzlib jng jpeg lcms png tiff xml zlib

I am not sure how fix it from here though :( - I checked my bash_profile and added export DISPLAY=:0
I also created the .profile file since it didn't seem to exist before? using touch ~/.profile ; open ~/.profile
added the two lines appropriate to IM (PATH and DISPLAY) but no dice, Im still getting the same error on display : display: delegate library support not built-in `' (X11) @ error/display.c/DisplayImageCommand/1899.
Any ideas?
I believe you have to download and install XCode Tools from your install disk (or perhaps search Apple support web site for it). That is what I had to do to have IM recognize X11 on my Snow Leopard system. You will then likely still need to reinstall IM afterwards, but you can check the version again and see if it found it before reinstalling IM.

P.S. you really should not have posted to this old SOLVED topic. It makes it very confusing to know whether to reply when it was marked SOLVED. You should have started a new topic even though it might have been related.

As a member of this forum, I would suggest that you or anyone new to the forum review viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9620