auto-crop multiple old photographs from scanned image?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
dsj

auto-crop multiple old photographs from scanned image?

Post by dsj »

[reposting here from developer forum on moderator's request]

Im attempting a project that might prove to be insane - scanning in all my old paper photographs.
you know the drill... theres typically 3 to 5 images that can fit on my flatbed scanner and they
vary in size and position in the scanned image.

Id like to be able to programatically auto-crop the individual images out of the larger scan image.
sample image: http://jonespix.com/imagemagick_example ... an0058.jpg

has anyone here done such a thing? can I use imagemagick APIs to do it? I can code but Im not
familiar with image processing techniques (yet). any help pointing me in the right direction would
be greatly appreciated - i really dont want to manually crop them one by one in photoshop!

thanx.
.dsj.

ps - a secondary goal would be to auto-detect orientation and rotate them programatically if
its possible. being right 50%+ of the time is still a help. anyone ever done this? again, these are
scanned images so no EXIF info to help.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: auto-crop multiple old photographs from scanned image?

Post by fmw42 »