Optimisation help

IMagick is a native PHP extension to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API. ImageMagick Studio LLC did not write nor does it maintain the IMagick extension, however, IMagick users are welcome to discuss the extension here.
willroy
Authentication code: 8675308

Optimisation help

Post by willroy »

Hello

I use imagick to combine multiple layers consisting of both text and images resulting in a 72dpi 500x500 png image. The PHP script gets called via an ajax call then saved and the browser serves up the new image. After some benching I am experiencing a 0.7 second average lapse (local development machine) until the image is recompiled and served to browser. When I try on my shared hosting this can be anywhere from 1 - 15 seconds! Before I look at upgrading my hosting (££) I want to see if the procedure can be optimised in-script first. Here is a basic plan of the current process (I have simplified the script as it is in a class and includes unrelated info)

Code: Select all

$canvas = new Imagick();
$canvas->newImage(500, 500, new ImagickPixel('white'));

// loop through layers to add to canvas (usually 1 - 10 either images or text)

// If adding image layer

$layer = new Imagick( realpath('path/to/image.jpg') );
        $layer->thumbnailImage( $width, 0, false ); // Only called if image needs to be resized before adding to canvas
        $canvas->compositeImage($layer, imagick::COMPOSITE_OVER, $x, $y);

// else If adding text layer
        $layer = new Imagick();
        $draw = new ImagickDraw();
        $draw->setFont( realpath('path/to/font.ttf') );
        $draw->setFontSize( 12 );
        $draw->setFillColor( ImagickPixel( '#000000' );
        $draw->setGravity(Imagick::GRAVITY_CENTER);
        $metrics = $layer->queryFontMetrics($draw, $text);
        $layer->newImage($width, $metric['textHeight'], ImagickPixel('none'));
        $layer->annotateImage( $draw, 0, 0, 0, $text );
        $canvas->compositeImage($layer, imagick::COMPOSITE_OVER, $x, $y);

$canvas->writeImage( $this->userFile = 'user_img.png' );

I'm thinking of outputting the raw image straight to the browser for one optimisation, but can anyone make any other suggestions? Are there any imagick / imagemagick alternative functions I could be using instead?

BTW I am running Q16 IM6.7.1-7.

Thanks for any advice you can provide...