16-bit / channel RGB output formats with Q16

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Bob-O-Rama

16-bit / channel RGB output formats with Q16

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

Hi,

I'm using Magick++ and the Q16 libraries, to produce a series of files that are handed to ffmpeg and converted into video. My issues is that I need a file format which can store 16-bit / channel RGB and be read by ffmpeg. ( The underlying issue is that most video formats are 10-bit / 12-bit and hence using a format like JPG causes posterizing of delicately shaded areas. ) I currently use MIFF for lossless intermediate files for my internal processing - which works fine, albet it bulky. I just need something - even if lossy - that I can use to ferry the data to ffmpeg.

Alternatively, some means by which to create the video directly from the 16-bit depth Image objects.

Any suggestions on "keeping all my bits?"

Thanks!

-- Bob
magick
Site Admin

Re: 16-bit / channel RGB output formats with Q16

Post by magick »

Set the compression quality to 100 when you create the intermediate JPEG images. Its still 8-bit but the quantization artifacts should be diminished.

In the mean-time, you can try PNM. Its a 16-bit format supported by ffmpeg.