"Postscript delegate failed" while converting a PS file

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
doub

"Postscript delegate failed" while converting a PS file

Post by doub »

I just installed ImageMagick-6.5.1-Q16 on Windows XP 32bits from the installer available on the website. In a console, when I try to convert a PostScript file to PNG, I get the following error:

D:\tmp>convert lua-logo-label.ps lua-logo-label.png
convert: `%s': %s "gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 "-sDEVICE=pngalpha" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r72x72" -g1080x1080 "-sOutputFile=C:/DOCUME~1/jvuarand/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-QTNGbcRS" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/jvuarand/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-hnlRr_f0" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/jvuarand/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-0WAcN0c7" @ utility.c/SystemCommand/1833.
convert: `%s': %s "gswin32c.exe" -q -dQUIET -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dNOPROMPT -dMaxBitmap=500000000 -dEPSCrop -dAlignToPixels=0 -dGridFitTT=0 "-sDEVICE=pngalpha" -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 "-r72x72" -g1080x1080 "-sOutputFile=C:/DOCUME~1/jvuarand/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-QTNGbcRS" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/jvuarand/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-hnlRr_f0" "-fC:/DOCUME~1/jvuarand/LOCALS~1/Temp/magick-0WAcN0c7" -c showpage @ utility.c/SystemCommand/1833.
convert: Postscript delegate failed `lua-logo-label.ps': No such file or directory @ ps.c/ReadPSImage/742.
convert: missing an image filename `lua-logo-label.png' @ convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/2775.

I've read other similar bug reports (with the same "Postscript delegate failed"), and usually the answer is that the PostScript file is invalid. However the file is taken from a public website, and I already converted it successfully in the past. The image is available there:

http://www.lua.org/images/lua-logo-label.ps

I haven't installed any version of GhostScript, because I don't remember ever doing so, while I converted that PostScript file several times on Windows in the past.
magick
Site Admin

Re: "Postscript delegate failed" while converting a PS file

Post by magick »

Your Postscript file converted without complaint for us on our Windows box with the latest ImageMagick release. Not sure why its failing for you.
doub

Post by doub »

Is there a command line option I can pass to get more debug information ?

The weird thing is that I'm almost sure I already converted that file on that computer, but today I got that error. I initially thought my ImageMagick install was somehow corrupted, so I reinstalled the latest version, but the problem persists.

However after some prolongated idle, I sometimes have weird video bugs on that computer. I'll try a reboot if you have nothing else to propose.
doub

Post by doub »

A reboot didn't help.

I noticed a reference to gswin32c.exe in the error output from convert. However I have no such executable file anywhere on my computer. Is that supposed to be install by the ImageMagick installer ?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

gswin32c.exe is installed on your computer when you install Ghostscript. Ghostscript is required by ImageMagick to interpret Postscript and PDF image files.
doub

Post by doub »

Has it ever been possible to do a PS -> PNG conversion without installing Ghostscript ?

Anyway the error message is not very explicit, maybe the presence of Ghostscript should be checked and a proper error message generated in that case.