MXS file format... help?

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
mgc3003

MXS file format... help?

Post by mgc3003 »

Corel Painter has the ability to export/import an image into a special section of the program that simulates a painter's palette. (It's simply an 800x800 image, with a little bit of generic data they store in the header.) Unfortunately, this isn't a normal file format so a user can't just import any image they want into that slot.

The good news is - it looks like they document the data order, so I'm hoping someone here can add a feature to ImageMagick or give me a workaround so I can convert images into this format.

Format = ".MXS" Corel Painter Mixer Palette (image, 800x800)

The header looks like this when I open the file in a text editor:

Mixer File Version: 1
Scale: 1.000000, PanX: 0.500000, PanY: 0.500000
Mixer Background - R: 255, G: 255, B, 251
Mixer Width: 800, Mixer Height: 800
Mixer Image Binary data (AARRGGBB):
(binary image data begins here)

Here's an example of exported MXS files:
http://www.junkyardsam.com/mixerpad.mxs (2.5 megs)
http://www.junkyardsam.com/emptymixerpad.mxs (2.5 megs)

The "empty" one is after the image space has been cleared...

Can anyone help with this? Thank you so much!
mgc3003

Re: MXS file format... help?

Post by mgc3003 »

Okay so if I save a flattened image (no layers) as a default corel painter file format image (.RIF) --- and then I add that header to it in a text editor --- I can then successfully load that into the mixer palette.

SO - it seems to me that it would be easy to add MXS (with a generic header) as a file format in ImageMagick! Is there a way to officially request this?

I have to do this often & in batch... so it would be a huge help!
magick
Site Admin

Re: MXS file format... help?

Post by magick »

To "officially" request a new image format support, post a URL to the official image format specification that we can download and review and post URL's to several images in the requested format that we can use for testing/validation against the format specification.