Heap Corruption

ImageMagickObject is a Windows COM+ interface to ImageMagick. COM+, Visual Basic, and Delphi users should post to this discussion group.
spieler

Heap Corruption

Post by spieler »

I likewise was getting occasional errors from my VB application that uses the ImageMagickObject. After talking with Microsoft, we put a debugger on the code and it was producing heap corruption. I decided to run the debugger on MagickCMD.exe and it did the same thing. The command I ran was simply

Code: Select all

MagickCMD convert logo: logo.gif
When I ran the debugger on convert.exe, this heap corruption did not occur.

I am starting to dig into the code, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for! The debug log can be found at
http://spieler.freeshell.org/IM/MagickCMDDebugLog.log .
In the call stack, it looks like RelinquishMagickMemory may be causing some of the issues.

I am more than willing to give more details if they would useful. Thanks!

Gary
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

We run the valgrind memory debugger on ImageMagick under Linux to ensure there is no heap corruption, however, ImageMagickObject/MagickCMD are contributed projects so its possible they have bugs. When we run
  • MagickCMD convert logo: logo.gif
no faults are evident. We'll give the code a once-over looking for obvious bugs but we must rely on the user community as well since we have limited debugging experience under Windows.
spieler

Post by spieler »

I actually just tried the ArrayTest.vbs file on my newly installed 6.2.6-5. I had been getting this error on 6.2.6-1, so thought I'd upgrade just in case. On a reboot, I'm still getting.

Anyone else have this issue? I'll also try it on my home pc tonight, although I'm not sure what version that is.

As far as low level debugging anything, including windows, I haven't had much experience. But, I'd like to get to the bottom of this, so I just might soon enough!

On a side question, is MS's free C++ compiler sufficient for compiling ImageMagick? I didn't get very far with my first try.