Large multi-tiff files

The MagickWand interface is a new high-level C API interface to ImageMagick core methods. We discourage the use of the core methods and encourage the use of this API instead. Post MagickWand questions, bug reports, and suggestions to this forum.
andrea.parenti
Authentication code: 8675308

Large multi-tiff files

Post by andrea.parenti »

Dear magick-users,

I have a question about writing multi-page tiff files using the MagickWand interface. My understanding is that I have to:

- initialize everything ie (MagickWandGenesis(), wand=NewMagickWand())
- add the images to the wand: MagickConstituteImage(wand, ...)
- write the file: MagickWriteImages(wand, ...)

Just to give you an idea, each one of my images is about 10 MB (2560 x 2160 x 2 bytes), and I would like to write a few hundreds of images to the same file.
The procedure I sketched above is indeed working, but I get into trouble when I try to write a large number of large images to a single file: all images are first stored in memory wand, then written to a file, and memory occupation starts to grow.
I tried to set MapResource and MemoryResource to 512 MB with MagickSetResourceLimit() to force disk caching: the memory doen not fill-up any more, but the writing becomes _very_ slow...
Is there any better solution?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Andrea Parenti
magick
Site Admin

Re: Large multi-tiff files

Post by magick »

We cannot think of any way to speed up the processing with ImageMagick other than to suggest finding another utility that might handle your requirements more efficiently.