Boosting File Size Limitations

Use this forum for comments, suggestions or problems related to the online ImageMagick Studio web interface @ https://imagemagick.org/MagickStudio.
JollyRoger

Boosting File Size Limitations

Post by JollyRoger »

As the physical size of image files is steadily growing ever larger, I'm encountering more and more situations where my files can't be uploaded due to Magick's built-in restraints. I'd like to see this matter corrected. File sizes of 4000 pixels are not unusual anymore. It'd be nice if they weren't rejected due to being of a size normal by today's standards.
magick
Site Admin

Re: Boosting File Size Limitations

Post by magick »

Make sure you have a modern version of ImageMagick. The latest is 6.5.8-6.

Perhaps you are running out of memory. Add -limit memory 2mb -limit map 4mb to your command line to force pixels to disk rather than memory.

We have successfully processed giga-pixel sized images (e.g. 100,000 x 100,000) with ImageMagick.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

magick wrote:Make sure you have a modern version of ImageMagick. The latest is 6.5.8-6.

Perhaps you are running out of memory. Add -limit memory 2mb -limit map 4mb to your command line to force pixels to disk rather than memory.

We have successfully processed giga-pixel sized images (e.g. 100,000 x 100,000) with ImageMagick.
Make sure I have a modern version of Magick?

Uh, well ... this is your website!

Wouldn't such things be in your department ... ensuring you're using the latest version, and having adequate memory on hand?

Your response suggests that I may be clueless. Am I supposed to install something on my computer, rather than simply be using your site?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

You posted to the wrong forum. We'll move the discussion to the proper forum.

Limits are required to prevent any one user from degrading system performance and preventing other users from converting, editing, or composing their images. You can try this site: http://www.imagemagick.org/MagickStudio ... Studio.cgi. It has the least restrictive limits. At that site you can process images up to 4096x4096 pixels. If one of your images fails, post a URL to the image and we will try to determine and fix the problem.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I just tried to upload an image at the place you suggested. It's size is 2749 x 4000 pixels. The attempt failed, however ... I got the same "Image Size Exceeds Allowed Dimensions" message that I get when trying the WebbyLand studio.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Try now. The web site has over a dozen checks to ensure no one image or image sequence consumes most or all the system resources. Its possible we may need to make further adjustments to accommodate large images. Note, we will adjust these limits down if we see an adverse effect on the computer system.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Hey, it worked this time! Just uploaded an image of 4000 x 2700 size. That should keep me well covered, as 4000 pixels is the largest size I ever use. Thanks very much for your assistance!

Does this change affect only the one website for which you provided a link?