What is the penalty?

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
daysofwonder
Authentication code: 1152

What is the penalty?

Post by daysofwonder »

Hello!

What's the penalty for `--disable-threads'? After upgrading the FreeBSD port of ImageMagick, I received a bug-report from a user, who was unable to use PerlMagick, because their perl was built without threads.

I'm thinking about simply adding `--disable-threads' to CONFIGURE_ARGS -- this seems to work with both threaded and non-threaded perl.

What is the penalty?

Could `configure', when it analyzes the available perl installation, also determine, whether threads are supported?..

Thanks!
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: What is the penalty?

Post by fmw42 »

I am not an expert on all aspects, but if you disable threading, then the only penalty I know is some loss of speed. Some operations are threaded to utilize multiple processors to speed up operations. But the gains decrease as you use more processors. So you gain the most from the second processor with diminishing gains as you add more processors.