Bug in PNG coder?

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
el_supremo

Bug in PNG coder?

Post by el_supremo »

I've been trying to get my MagickWand Examples in C up to date. Most of the examples work fine (in V6.9.7) but a couple related to transparency give oddball results.
Fortunately, I can demonstrate the problem with the command line.
This command should change all the white pixels to be transparent, including those in the Wizard's beard.

Code: Select all

imconvert logo: -alpha set -channel RGBA -fuzz 1% -fill none -transparent white logo_transp.png
It works with 6.4.2 Q8 (on win7 x64) but with 6.9.7 Q16 and 7.0.5 Q16 (both on Win10 x64) it does not change the white pixels. I tried a few other variations of the command to see if I could get the alpha channel to show up but to no avail. The two obvious differences are that 6.4.2 is a much earlier version than the others and also it is Q8. I haven't got an early Q16 version that I can try.
However, if I just change the output filename such that it writes a GIF or TIFF, both formats work with V6.9.7 and V7.0.5 which leads me to suspect that the problem lies in the PNG coder.

Pete
Sorry, my ISP shutdown all personal webspace so my MagickWand Examples in C is offline.
See my message in this topic for a link to a zip of all the files.
dlemstra
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Bug in PNG coder?

Post by dlemstra »

I am getting the correct image with the latest beta under Windows. Can you share your output image?

p.s. The link in your signature seems broken.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
el_supremo

Re: Bug in PNG coder?

Post by el_supremo »

Hmmmm. It just occurred to me to wonder if it is PSP that isn't displaying it properly and lo and behold, MagicViewer displays it with transparency but PSP Pro X9 doesn't.
Weird.
Apparently it's nothing to do with the PNG coder in IM. It's the PNG decoder in PSP!

Thanks for making me look outside the box :)

Pete
P.S. I've fixed up my sig.
Sorry, my ISP shutdown all personal webspace so my MagickWand Examples in C is offline.
See my message in this topic for a link to a zip of all the files.