what sRGB should be used?

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
NicolasRobidoux
Authentication code: 8675308

what sRGB should be used?

Post by NicolasRobidoux »

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography ... rison.html
Does anybody have any idea which sRGB profile should be used, by default, to import stripped images (without a profile), and likewise, which profile should be used to produce stripped sRGB JPEGs or PNGs based on natural images (digital photographs)?
Rendering intent, v3 or v4, black point compensated or not ???
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: what sRGB should be used?

Post by snibgo »

That's a useful page. Good find.

In this context, I'm fond of quoting the old joke, "That's the great thing about standards -- there are so many to choose from."

I have the luxury of not needing a precision colour workflow. The result looks good or it doesn't, and that's all that matters. When an image comes out of dcraw, I strip the profile because I regard it as "wrong", whatever that means, and leave it stripped. My printer is an organisation rather than a device, but I regard it as a black box -- they take my unprofiled images and put them on paper. I don't know (or care) what profile conversions they do.

But the situation isn't satisfactory (even if my results are). I'd like to know the answers to your questions.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com