Drawing on TIFF with Alpha Channel enabled

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
mackermedia
Authentication code: 6789

Drawing on TIFF with Alpha Channel enabled

Post by mackermedia »

I am working to use mogrify to modify a source template image to do a number of different operations: add background color, add text, add image, etc.

I have the operations working successfully when I start with a source tif that is all white and has no Alpha Channel enabled.

I now want to be able to start with a fully transparent source template file, apply any of the operations, and save a new image with transparency.
The problem is, now that I'm starting with a fully transparent image, none of the same operations are affecting the image. The output is always the same fully transparent image.

Do I need to do some conversion of the source file before attempting modifications? Should I be starting with a different source template file and converting to TIFF at the end?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
mackermedia
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Drawing on TIFF with Alpha Channel enabled

Post by mackermedia »

Turns out, simply starting with a fully transparent .png image and applying the operations, then saving as .tif works like a charm.