Group4 and Fax encoding issues in pdf

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
Ivar Snaaijer

Group4 and Fax encoding issues in pdf

Post by Ivar Snaaijer »

See also http://studio.imagemagick.org/discussio ... php?t=5744

I changed the file pdf.c of the latest 6.2.5 source code to reflect the changes mentioned in the post. (there are two occurences of the '<< >>' string)
Then I compiled it on my SuSE 9.3 box. when i run convert like this :

Code: Select all

ivar@home:~/projects/imagemagic/ImageMagick-6.2.5> utilities/convert -compress fax images/sprite.jpg tst.pdf[code]

I get a pdf file that is 4478 bytes that contains a CCITT encoded monochrome image.

when I change the latest 6.2.6 source to do the same I get a color image in the pdf (runlength encoded), when i use the -monochrome option i get a monochrome image that is runlength encoded.

One of the other changes between 6.2.5 and 6.2.6 are lines 652-659 that check the incoming image format, and default to runlength encoding if it is not monochrome enough, i have commented them out and compiled again.

This makes the pdf generator go bad. i tried -compress Group4 and -compress fax, both files give errors, the Group4 version does not even contain a stream, the fax version does, but generates an error.

as you can see in my other thread, in the 6.2.6-1 version there was a good group4 encoded image inside the pdf, only the '<< >>' was wrong. I'll download the 6.2.6-1 source and check.

Compiled 'out of the box'. the pdf (generated with -compress fax) obviously did not work, i removed the '<< >>' from the pdf and all is well. The filesize is 4537 bytes. 

I changed the source (removed '<< >>' from pdf.c) and the pdf opens fine. when i use -compress Group4 i get a color image that is runlength encoded, and when i add -monochrome, i get a run length encoded image.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

The Group4-compression bug is scheduled to be fixed in the next point release. It should be available in the next 10 days.
Ivar Snaaijer

Post by Ivar Snaaijer »

Great news !

I am digging throug the code to find a possibe solution. and i come across something odd.

To tell the PDF-Reader thet it is a G3 or G4 CCITT encoding you need to set the K parameter value to -1 (for G4) or 0 (G3), it even allowes for a mixed mode (K > 0 indicating maximum sequential G4 lines).

This value stored in CCITTParam in pdf.c seems to be hardcoded (it is a #define), because of the way the encoder is programmed it looks like it can not create G4 encoding unless you #Undef UseTIFF

(taken from somewhere around line 1215)

case FaxCompression:
          case Group4Compression:
          {
            if (LocaleCompare(CCITTParam,"0") == 0)
              {
                (void) HuffmanEncodeImage(image_info,image);
                break;
              }
            (void) Huffman2DEncodeImage(image_info,image);
            break;
          }
This should probably become something like

case FaxCompression:

{
            (void) HuffmanEncodeImage(image_info,image);
            break;
          }
          case Group4Compression:
          {
            (void) Huffman2DEncodeImage(image_info,image);
            break;
          }
and change the part where the string is created from somewhere in the neigberhood of 1171 and 1626

case FaxCompression:
      case Group4Compression:
      {
        (void) CopyMagickString(buffer,"/Filter [ /CCITTFaxDecode ]\n",
          MaxTextExtent);
        (void) WriteBlobString(image,buffer);
        (void) FormatMagickString(buffer,MaxTextExtent,
          "/DecodeParms [ << /K %s /Columns %ld /Rows %ld >> ]\n",
          (compression == FaxCompression) ? "0" : "-1",
          image->columns,image->rows);
        break;