Miminal requirements for a Linux distribution

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
Ant_222
Authentication code: 1152

Miminal requirements for a Linux distribution

Post by Ant_222 »

Hello, all

I desire to set up, in a virtual machine, a Linux environment for the development of ImageMagick plugins. Being direly limited on resources, I need as lightweight a distribution as possibly can run ImageMagick. How can I find out, for example, whether it will work on Damn Small Linux or Not Damn Small Linux? I am asking this in order to save trying various Linux distributions one by one.

EDIT: Since it works on Windows XP SP3, can you please point me to instruction about the setting up of a development environment on that OS?
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Miminal requirements for a Linux distribution

Post by snibgo »

I know nothing about Linux requirements, beyond the (fairly) obvious: you need a C compiler (Gnu C is fine), and libraries for whatever image formats you need: JPG, PNG etc.

For Windows 8.1, I use Cygwin tools. If Cygwin is available on Windows XP, that's what I would suggest.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Ant_222

Post by Ant_222 »

Thank you, I will see what I can do. Is it possible to write in interactive plugin for IMDisplay?
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

Ant_222 wrote:Is it possible to write in interactive plugin for IMDisplay?
I've never tried. I have written loads of plugins for ImageMagick (see Process modules ) but these are driven from the command line, not interactive.

If your primary interest is interactivity, Gimp may be a more promising route.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
Ant_222

Post by Ant_222 »

snibgo wrote: 2018-02-13T14:10:11-07:00
Ant_222 wrote:Is it possible to write in interactive plugin for IMDisplay?
I've never tried. I have written loads of plugins for ImageMagick (see Process modules ) but these are driven from the command line, not interactive.
I have looked at your page already, and found it interesting.
If your primary interest is interactivity, Gimp may be a more promising route.
No, it is not primary, but I want to let the user select two points in an image represenging the highst and lowest tones with useful information, and then pass these samples to the plugin. Another option is to estimate them automatically. But accepting them as command-line parameters seems rather cumbersome.

The Gimp API is much more difficult in both use and setup. I failed to install it on Windows XP.