ICNS format support

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
allpowerful32
Authentication code: 6789

ICNS format support

Post by allpowerful32 »

From what I'm reading everywhere, it looks like ImageMagick doesn't support .icns files (mac osx icons). I stumbled across this library: http://icns.sourceforge.net/ (LGPL license) that looks like it might be able to provide the logic for actually converting files. It'd be awesome to see support integrated into ImageMagick since it's so ubiquitous.

Being fairly experienced developer with a love for open-source, I'd like to fix that. But before I embark on such a journey, I'd like to verify a few things:
  • Is there interest in having .icns support integrated, or is it too much of a niche format? I don't want to drop some code, only to find that nobody cares.
  • Will licensing be an issue? (i.e. linking in LGPL code as a dependency). If so, I might try to contact the original developer of libicns to try to get it dual-licensed under a more compatible license.
  • Will pulling in such an obscure 3rd-party library be problematic? I'm naively assuming that ImageMagick already pulls in other libraries like libpng, but it's much easier to assume that'll be present on the system. FWIW, libicns does seem to be available in both homebrew and debian wheezy package repos.
  • I may or may not have time to provide ongoing maintenance. Will that be problematic? How does component ownership typically work in this community?
magick
Site Admin

Re: ICNS format support

Post by magick »

If you provide the initial coder for ICNS, we can maintain it.
pipitas
Authentication code: 15

Re: ICNS format support

Post by pipitas »

allpowerful32 wrote:FWIW, libicns does seem to be available in both homebrew and debian wheezy package repos.
libicns is also available on MacPorts...