New User on Ubuntu

Post here to shower the ImageMagick developers with praise or discuss how you could have done a better job if you developed ImageMagick. Or talk about how Photoshop is better than ImageMagick. Even complain about how no one answered your postings in the Users forum. Venting and musings welcomed here.
Aby
Authentication code: 1152

New User on Ubuntu

Post by Aby »

Completely new to Ubunutu and had one of my python scripts bricked by the 'Input' function as part of ImageMagick. (I was trying to import the functions of the script into a virtual environment.)

I didn't even know Image Magick was installed on my computer. I don't even know how an 'image processing' software can accept .py files as input. I don't know how the Input function accepts files at all considering the documentation on imagemagick.org lists the function as a screen capture tool.

I now have had several hours of work destroyed and I'd like advice on how to a) recover the original script b) open this new .py file as an image c) cry and completely remove this intrusive software from my computer.

Thanks

snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: New User on Ubuntu

Post by snibgo »

ImageMagick is a general-purpose raster image processor. It takes raster images as input, and writes raster images as output. It also has some vector capabilities. It can also capture screens. It has a number of APIs (application program interfaces) including command-line, C, C++ and Python. I don't know the Python interface.

A python script isn't a raster image file.

Most of your post makes no sense to me.

If you want to remove ImageMagick from your computer, then simply delete it.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com

Aby

Post by Aby »

I am as confused as you are. Here I'll try again.

1. I had a .py file with instructions, let's call it file.py.
2. I typed
>> input file.py
in the terminal, which I now realise was the mistake.
3. file.py now has a ton of image related scripts, raster data as you pointed out, and lists "ImageMagick" as the creator.

Now if you'd like to continue to be unhelpful no one would appreciate that. Alternatively you could try out that method I outlined above and attempt to help me.

If a "general-purpose raster image processor" is programed to be as dumb as overwrite files that aren't image formatted and do so without asking the user surely then the users have a way to recover any lost files destroyed by this obvious oversight.

fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Can you post your Python file so we can see how it is calling ImageMagick?

snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

Aby wrote:2. I typed
>> input file.py
I don't know what your "input" program is, or what it does. ImageMagick does have an "import" program, which will import an image from the screen and write it to the file you name, in this case "file.py". If that file already exists, it will be overwritten. See the documentation https://imagemagick.org/script/import.php
Aby wrote:... a way to recover any lost files destroyed by this obvious oversight.
I suggest you restore file.py from a backup.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com