Installation problems on Ubuntu

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
musicmaster
Authentication code: 1151

Installation problems on Ubuntu

Post by musicmaster »

I am trying to install the imagick PHP module on Ubuntu 14. That one file (imagick.so) is the only thing I need. I have tried a lot but I keep running into problems. Below my results:

- apt-get install ImageMagick: installs dozens of packages. But not the file I want.

- pecl install imagick: message that download succeeded but is not a valid package archive

- apt-get install php5-imagick: succeeds but no module

- the last thing I found was this recipe:
wget http://pecl.php.net/get/imagick-3.3.0RC2.tgz
tar xvf imagick-3.3.0RC2.tgz
cd imagick-3.3.0RC2
phpize
./configure
make
make install

I did this for the stable 3.4.0 package. I came to ./configure. Then I get the error "configure: error: not found. Please provide a path to MagickWand-config or Wand-config program."

Some very old forumpost said that I should also install ImageMagick-devel. But when i write apt-get install ImageMagick-devel it says that the package cannot be found.

Now I am stuck. Can anyone help me get this sorted out?
ggarra13
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Installation problems on Ubuntu

Post by ggarra13 »

imagick.so is not a standard part of the imagemagick distribution.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Installation problems on Ubuntu

Post by fmw42 »

ggarra13 wrote:imagick.so is not a standard part of the imagemagick distribution.
True, so that is part of the Imagick install and not the Imagemagick install. Imagemagick has no control over Imagick and is not the developer of Imagick. You may want to post your question to the Imagick forum on this server or ask elsewhere about proper installation of Imagick.