Composite of two images - but top image can be any size

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
oceanthrsty
Authentication code: 6789

Composite of two images - but top image can be any size

Post by oceanthrsty »

So I have a background jpg that is 1500w x 2100h. But this can be adjusted to whatever I need. I've thought just maybe making it 2100x2100.

I want to be able to take a horizontal or vertical main image and place it on top but no matter the size (could be coming in as 3:2 or maybe a pano) be able to make it fit with a border of at least 200px.

Examples of what the output should be:
Vertical Image coming in:

I've started with code that looks like this:

Code: Select all

convert bg.jpg puppy.jpg  -geometry '1900x1900<' -gravity center -composite output.jpg
But I don't know how to account of veri & horizontal. The goal is then to output the image and then print it as a 5x7 print.

Sorry if I'm being vague. just began learning all of the ins an out of IM.
Last edited by oceanthrsty on 2015-03-06T13:42:00-07:00, edited 1 time in total.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Composite of two images - but top image can be any size

Post by fmw42 »

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do. Can you explain a bit further?

Also you should not use -geometry to resize an image. Use -resize and put it with the image to be resized in parentheses. geometry is primarily for offsetting the pixture relative to your gravity setting. Something like

unix syntax

convert bg.jpg \( puppy.jpg  -resize '1900x1900<' \) -gravity center -composite output.jpg
window syntax

convert bg.jpg ( puppy.jpg  -resize '1900x1900<' ) -gravity center -composite output.jpg
You should always provide your version of IM and platform when asking questions.

A good place to start with IM is:
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/reference.html
oceanthrsty
Authentication code: 6789

Re: Composite of two images - but top image can be any size

Post by oceanthrsty »

Basically I need to take a JPG image of unknown size or aspect ratio. Shrink it so the long edge is no bigger then 1680px. Then drop it, centered, onto a background of known size (2100H x 1500W).

I hope that is more clear. And thank you for your mention about not using geometry.

Using IM 6.9.0.9.