How to upgrade the IM version on Linux Machine

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Carter J
Authentication code: 6789

How to upgrade the IM version on Linux Machine

Post by Carter J »

Hi,

I have installed IM (version - 6.8.7-5) on my Linux machine. I want to upgrade the IM version to 6.8.8-7.

Linux Machine Info:
[Car@lnx-dev-1 ~]$ uname -a
Linux lnx-dev-1 2.6.32-279.9.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 12 08:03:39 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Carter J
rossdv8
Authentication code: 6789

Re: How to upgrade the IM version on Linux Machine

Post by rossdv8 »

I went through that a couple of months ago, and identify -version shows that I'm using ImageMagick 6.8.9-3.
I think from memory, I downloaded the latest tarball and went through the whole configure, make, make install thing.

Instructions are here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/install-source.php

I did however run into a problem. I can't remember what, but it might have been that the instructions say to run ./configure and I may have had to use sudo ./configure and ./sudo make and so on. But I can't recall. Whatever it was, it was something simple so...

Try following the instructions first. :D

It is only a matter of typing a line in a terminal, waiting till that bit is done, then typing the next and waiting.

Make sure you open the terminal IN the same place you have the downloaded tarball. If you are using Dolphin, there's an option to 'open terminal here'. I'm sure whatever file manager Gnome uses will have a similar option.

If you have a problem with the install after following the instructions, post here and somebody is sure to help you.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: How to upgrade the IM version on Linux Machine

Post by fmw42 »

I did however run into a problem. I can't remember what, but it might have been that the instructions say to run ./configure and I may have had to use sudo ./configure and ./sudo make and so on. But I can't recall. Whatever it was, it was something simple so...
On a Mac, you have to use sudo make install rather than just make install. I do not know about Linux.