Hide text in visual part of image?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
darinb
Authentication code: 6789

Hide text in visual part of image?

Post by darinb »

Hi,

I'm new to ImageMagick...looking for ideas to use this program to "hide" text in an image (within the image itself, not in the file).

Here's the basic idea: I want to display a color photo--say 16x20. Lots of bright colors--no smooth areas of a single color. I want to hide text within the image in a sort of "hide and seek" manner. The viewer might see hints of text and they are then supposed to find the text by, for example, using their cell phones, take a picture, and reprocess their pict in some way to reveal the image. Or perhaps they will just wear blue glasses, I don't know. Bt they will NOT have access to the image file at all, just a print, framed and behind glass.

So I'm looking for ideas on how such text might be hidden in a manner that it can be revealed by a curious viewer.

A sample image is attached to give you the flavor.

http://montarafog.smugmug.com/Other/dar ... 506-X3.jpg

Ideas?

--Darin
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Hide text in visual part of image?

Post by fmw42 »

Several ideas (none tested)

1) Put the text into only one channel (r,g,b) of the image.

2) Convert the image to HSL (or some other colorspace) and put the text into one of the channels and then convert back to RGB

3) Put the text into every X lines of the image

4) Warp the image, put the text into it (perhaps as one of the above) and then unwarp the image

5) Split the text into every 3 characters and put into the image, every 3rd character into one of each of the channels
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

6. Use black text on a white background as a mask placing one image over the other, so one image shows where the text was while the other shows as background.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
el_supremo

Post by el_supremo »

Try the -stegano option of convert.

Pete
Sorry, my ISP shutdown all personal webspace so my MagickWand Examples in C is offline.
See my message in this topic for a link to a zip of all the files.