optimize for speed and resources

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
rbmac
Authentication code: 6789

optimize for speed and resources

Post by rbmac »

hey everyone - love image magick and have used it for a variety of tasks in the past. even so still quite a novice. i have used it in the past to perform a number of simple tasks on my windows desktop with simple batch files.

but i have been on the road for a while and so just loaded up the latest to my macbook via macports a couple of days ago. i am trying to go through 1000's of pics to reduce file sizes with minimal noticeable loss in quality so that i can load them up over a connection that i would call unreliable on a good day...

Version: ImageMagick 6.8.0-7 2013-02-17 Q16
Features: OpenCL
Mac OS X Lion - Terminal

I am processing thousands of photos (around 400 at a time currently) and saw huge speed and memory improvements after some searching and reading led me to simply change to inline resize. any other suggestions that might speed things up for me? is it even possible? i am currently trying to run the following:

convert '*.JPG[1024x1024]' -set filename:fname "%t" -auto-orient -quality 65 -strip '../web/%[filename:fname]_1024_Q65_NOEXIF.JPG'

thanks in advance.