how do I make a multi resolution .ico file?

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
brainlord

how do I make a multi resolution .ico file?

Post by brainlord »

I have IM installed, (used it in an app) but I still like using the web "Studio" pages for conversion sometimes.

I have used the Studio to convert a 256 pixel PNG into an ICO with transparency :)
put its only 256. ICOs can (should) be multi-resolution 16, 32, 64, 128 AND 256 pixels sqaure.

can IM (studio or otherwise) do this?

(all of my other ICO tools are based on 24 bit BMPs and do't do alpha, and now you NEED alpha icons in vista!)

tia
magick
Site Admin

Re: how do I make a multi resolution .ico file?

Post by magick »

Create all the different sizes you require and write them to the ICO file. Something like:

convert icon-32.bmp icon-64.bmp icon-128.bmp icon-256.bmp myicon.ico
kitchin
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by kitchin »

To reduce the file size, try "-colors 256" and see how it looks:

convert icon-32.bmp icon-64.bmp icon-128.bmp icon-256.bmp -colors 256 myicon.ico

Note, -depth does not reduce the file size.

More keywords to make this thread easier to find: favicon page multipage (the frames are called "pages") multisize multiresolution 16x16 32x32 48x48 64x64 256x256.
anthony

Post by anthony »

This information has now been added to IM examples, Thumbnails
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/thumbnails/#favicon
(It should appear in an hour or so)
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
Jenkins
Authentication code: 1151

Post by Jenkins »

I know this is an ancient post but I felt that I needed to add this here.

I stumbled with the examples given for a little while, but eventually worked out the best way use just a batch to create the proper ICO from a 512x512 transparent PNG. 8)

This code is the beginning to a "MULTI9" drag'n'drop script that I frequently write for Windows.
Windows will only accept 9 files dragged onto a .bat at once due to the way the number macros work.
%~dpnx (Drive Path Name eXtension) numbers only go to 9, and using "10" and above will not have the effect you need.

This works on all versions of Windows, but you will have to change the IMDIR location to suit your install location.

Copy and paste this code into a new .bat, and then drag 'n drop a 512x512 PNG onto it, and it will create a proper full 256x256 multi-paged ICO.

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
REM ---------------------------------
REM Script by Jenkins
REM ©1996-2016 Jenkins Media
REM ---------------------------------

@SETLOCAL enableextensions
@CD /d "%~dp0"

SET IMDIR=C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.8.7-Q16

PUSHD "%~dp0"

"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpnx1" -resize 256x256 "%~dpn1-256.png"
"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpnx1" -resize 128x128 "%~dpn1-128.png"
"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpnx1" -resize 96x96 "%~dpn1-96.png"
"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpnx1" -resize 64x64 "%~dpn1-64.png"
"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpnx1" -resize 48x48 "%~dpn1-48.png"
"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpnx1" -resize 32x32 "%~dpn1-32.png"
"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpnx1" -resize 16x16 "%~dpn1-16.png"
"%IMDIR%\%APP%" "%~dpn1-256.png" "%~dpn1-128.png" "%~dpn1-96.png" "%~dpn1-64.png" "%~dpn1-48.png" "%~dpn1-32.png" "%~dpn1-16.png" "%~dpn1.ico"

POPD

ECHO DONE!
TITLE DONE!
ECHO.

PAUSE
EXIT
I noticed that the biggest problem was the order in which the size files come for the convert to ICO command.

On this thread, and the IM Examples site gives you "lowest to highest" increasing file dimensions as the order to convert with...
This didn't work for me, and I had to reverse the order to be "highest to lowest" and after which the proper large transparent ICO was created (instead of it being 16x16)

This script also means you do not need to resize the icons manually, and includes the Apple retina sizes (96x96, 48x48) and the 256x256 "PNG" layer for very large icons in Windows/OSX.

If you don't want to keep the "resized" versions of the PNGs, add this before the POPD line;

DEL "%~dpn1-256.png"
DEL "%~dpn1-128.png"
DEL "%~dpn1-96.png"
DEL "%~dpn1-64.png"
DEL "%~dpn1-48.png"
DEL "%~dpn1-32.png"
DEL "%~dpn1-16.png"
Hope this helps anyone looking to achieve this with some level of automation :D

-Jenkins
GeeMack

Post by GeeMack »

Jenkins wrote:Hope this helps anyone looking to achieve this with some level of automation :D
Using "IM 6.9.2-8 Q16 x64" or "IM 7.0.0-0 Q16 x64 2016-01-09" and Windows 7 Pro 64, this can be done with a batch file like this without creating the intermediate files...

@echo off
setlocal
set IMDIR=c:\Program Files\ImageMagick

pushd "%~dp1"

"%IMDIR%\convert" "%~1" -define icon:auto-resize="256,128,96,64,48,32,16" "%~n1.ico"

popd

@echo Done!
pause
exit
Use pushd "%~dp1" to create the new icon in the directory where the original PNG image resides. Edit that to pushd "%~dp0" if you want to create the icon in the directory where the script resides. It will probably work with almost any version of Windows that anyone is still using, and almost any recent or near future version of IM.
Jenkins

Post by Jenkins »

GeeMack wrote:
Jenkins wrote:Hope this helps anyone looking to achieve this with some level of automation :D
Using "IM 6.9.2-8 Q16 x64" or "IM 7.0.0-0 Q16 x64 2016-01-09" and Windows 7 Pro 64, this can be done with a batch file like this without creating the intermediate files...

@echo off
setlocal

pushd "%~dp1"

"%IMDIR%\convert" "%~1" -define icon:auto-resize="256,128,96,64,48,32,16" "%~n1.ico"

popd

@echo Done!
pause
exit
Use pushd "%~dp1" to create the new icon in the directory where the original PNG image resides. Edit that to pushd "%~dp0" if you want to create the icon in the directory where the script resides. It will probably work with almost any version of Windows that anyone is still using, and almost any recent or near future version of IM.
Awesome! Never knew about the -define param, thanks!

But with your
Unfortunately as you know IM doesn't install to a folder without a version number. It always has had the version and the (quantum?) depth in the title.

I wrote a rigorous way around this last year, but it slows the scripts right down. Instead I find it easier to update all my scripts at once after I install a new version of IM...

REM = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
REM = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
REM                             # # Let's begin # #

REM We need to dynamically find mogrify.exe and use it's location as a variable
REM This will future proof this converter so long as IM don't change the name of "mogrify.exe"

REM We also need to check what architecture the user has, and where abouts IM is installed.

REM -------------------------------------------------------------
REM Rigorous check for mogrify.
REM Search for mogrify in the progfiles W6432 Tree (The x64 C:\Program Files\ folder on a 64bit machine)

IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="AMD64" (GOTO X64) ELSE GOTO X86

REM Take the highway to the danger zone [we didn't detect any architecture]
GOTO ARCHERR

:X86
ECHO Windows 32bit detected
SET PF=%ProgramFiles%

GOTO CONT1

:X64
ECHO Windows 64bit detected
ECHO(
SET PF64=%ProgramFiles(x86)%
SET PF=%ProgramW6432%

GOTO CONT1

:CONT1
REM Check that mogrify exists at all.
REM NOTE the second SET and the IF statement nested in the FOR loop.
REM We're assuming that the user has installed the 32bit version of IM on their 32bit machine, and 64bit IM on their 64bit machine, duh

REM Push into the current directory and start the FOR loop
REM then check IF the name is equal to "mogrify.exe"
REM Finally if one is found, SET MOGEXIST to TRUE, grab it's directory and SET it as IMDIR and GOTO CONT2, the next step, breaking out of the loop
ECHO Searching for mogrify.exe in %PF% . . .
ECHO(

PUSHD "%PF%" &&(
	FOR /R "." %%i IN (*.exe) DO (
		IF /i "%%~nxi"=="mogrify.exe" (
		SET MOGEXIST=TRUE
		SET IMDIR=%%~dpi
		GOTO:CONT2
		)
	)
)

REM Old SET
REM SET IMDIR=C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.8.7-Q16

REM Flowed from mogrify check loop, this means we didn't find her
GOTO NOMOG

:CONT2
REM Now broken out of mogrify check loop, pop back out of %PFFolder%
POPD

REM MOGEXIST will only be defined if mogrify.exe is found in a sub folder of %PFFolder% (aka %PF% aka %ProgramFiles%).
REM Otherwise, it will skip our next SETMOG function and goto NOMOG error block
If Defined MOGEXIST (GOTO SETMOG) else (
   GOTO NOMOG)

:SETMOG

REM This Is where the rest of the script goes
--trimmed--
You get the idea :P

I've read other ways to achieve this too, such as pulling values from the registry and SETting them for the location, but I went with the pure FOR loop instead.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Jenkins wrote:Unfortunately as you know IM doesn't install to a folder without a version number. It always has had the version and the (quantum?) depth in the title.
That's the default behaviour. But one of the installation screens lets you change the directory.

I use too many versions and varieties for that "find mogrify.exe" script to help, but it's a good idea. My scripts generally use %IM% or %IMDEV% as the directories for pre-compiled or DIY binaries.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
GeeMack

Post by GeeMack »

Jenkins wrote:I wrote a rigorous way around this last year, but it slows the scripts right down. Instead I find it easier to update all my scripts at once after I install a new version of IM...
I keep two working versions of ImageMagick on my Windows 7 64 machine, the current Windows binary release version 6.X.X-X Q16 x64 static, and the current Windows binary beta version 7.X.X-X Q16 x64 static. They're installed in "c:\Program Files\ImageMagick" and "c:\Program Files\ImageMagick7" respectively. I specify the install directories when I update. I don't know if the setup programs do something different for the DLL versions.

I have both directories in my PATH, the IM6 first, so if I call "convert" from the command line it uses version 6, and if I call it by "magick" it uses version 7. In my scripts I don't even specify a full path, just "convert" or "magick". I mostly use IM from Windows batch files and command line, but sometimes I use the *nix command line from Cygwin (under Windows). I haven't even installed a *nix version of ImageMagick. Cygwin inherits the Windows path and IM just works in a command window. If it's accidentally easier for me than for other people I'm not going to complain. :)
Jenkins

Post by Jenkins »

snibgo wrote:
Jenkins wrote:Unfortunately as you know IM doesn't install to a folder without a version number. It always has had the version and the (quantum?) depth in the title.
That's the default behaviour. But one of the installation screens lets you change the directory.

I use too many versions and varieties for that "find mogrify.exe" script to help, but it's a good idea. My scripts generally use %IM% or %IMDEV% as the directories for pre-compiled or DIY binaries.
Not a bad idea! The only reason I tried to accomplish it that way was so that it would work on any IM install, no matter where it is installed to (but so long as it's in Program Files). Using PATH variables is also a good idea but I have come across issues in the past where the PATH string has been corrupted by software that incorrectly added entries to it containing invalid chars. I have almost 1TB of software on my main design computer, and about 30-40% of that software adds entries to PATH. :-|
GeeMack wrote:
Jenkins wrote:I wrote a rigorous way around this last year, but it slows the scripts right down. Instead I find it easier to update all my scripts at once after I install a new version of IM...
I keep two working versions of ImageMagick on my Windows 7 64 machine, the current Windows binary release version 6.X.X-X Q16 x64 static, and the current Windows binary beta version 7.X.X-X Q16 x64 static. They're installed in "c:\Program Files\ImageMagick" and "c:\Program Files\ImageMagick7" respectively. I specify the install directories when I update. I don't know if the setup programs do something different for the DLL versions.
I don't think they are different, but from memory (it's been a while since I used the DLL versions) it adds the "-DLL" to the end of the folder name, e.g 6.7.8.9-Q16-DLL
agent.coulson

Post by agent.coulson »

Jenkins wrote:I know this is an ancient post but I felt that I needed to add this here.

Hope this helps anyone looking to achieve this with some level of automation :D

-Jenkins
GeeMack wrote:It will probably work with almost any version of Windows that anyone is still using, and almost any recent or near future version of IM.
hi dude, thanks for sharing, really helpfull :D
but 1 question, how to create icon without streched, i mean look this image :D

thanks, sorry bad english :)
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

You should put the actual files online (not screenshots) and the command(s) you used, and say what version of IM you use, on what platform.
agent.coulson

Post by agent.coulson »

snibgo wrote:You should put the actual files online (not screenshots) and the command(s) you used, and say what version of IM you use, on what platform.
this my image :D

then convert to .ico with this command

magick "%~1" -define icon:auto-resize="256,128,96,64,48,32,16" "%~n1.ico"
it become streched :( link for .ico http://uptobox.com/o5htnu3l1808

i using the latest update, thanks :D

Win10
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The documentation http://www.imagemagick.org/script/comma ... s.php#draw says:
icon:auto-resize : Automatically stores multiple sizes when writing an ico image (requires a 256x256 input image).
I suggest you "-resize", perhaps also "-extent", to make it 256x256.
anthony

Post by anthony »

To extend look at IM Examples, Thumbnails, Square Padding or Cropping
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/thumbnails/#square

Of course as you have a specific size (or sizes) you have other options
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/thumbn ... it_summery
Anthony Thyssen -- Webmaster for ImageMagick Example Pages
https://imagemagick.org/Usage/