Using my own delegate for nef-files

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
bablokb

Using my own delegate for nef-files

Post by bablokb »

Hello,

the current setup uses the DNG-coder for NEF-files (defined in coder.xml) and a dng:decode-delegate (defined in delegates.xml). I would like to change this and use my own script. Specfically, I would like my delegate to extract the embedded jpg-image of the NEF-file. This is much faster than the conversion with ufraw and the quality-tradeoff is fine for me.

In previous versions of IM, it was enough to define a <delegate decode="nef" ... /> entry in delegates.xml. But this does not work anymore because IM uses the DNG-coder. Is there a coder that just uses whatever delegate is defined in delegates.xml? Note that changing the DNG-delegate does not really help, since the DNG-coder expects a pnm-file.

Bernhard
magick
Site Admin

Re: Using my own delegate for nef-files

Post by magick »

Try creating a new delegate with a unique name, say mynef. Insert your delegate element into delegate.xml and then access the file like this:
  • convert mynef:image.nef image.png
bablokb

Re: Using my own delegate for nef-files

Post by bablokb »

Your tip works fine for single-images. But I have a lot of scripts where I use e.g. "montage *" in a directory with all kinds of file-types. No way to add mynef: to the relevant subset of files. And in other scripts, the filename is just passed in as an argument from the user.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks, Bernhard